#2-Red Devils Open Conference Play With 11-10 Win

Brian Gleason scored twice and handed out three assists as the #2-ranked Red Devils won their Centennial Conference opener, 11-10 at McDaniel<BR>
Photo by James Rasp
Brian Gleason scored twice and handed out three assists as the #2-ranked Red Devils won their Centennial Conference opener, 11-10 at McDaniel
Photo by James Rasp



(Carlisle, Pa.) – The #2-ranked Dickinson men's lacrosse team survived a thriller in Westminster, holding off McDaniel College, 11-10, in Wednesday night's Centennial Conference opener.


The Green Terror had their sights set on the two-time defending champs right out of the gate, taking a 3-1 lead in the opening five minutes. The Red Devils struck first as Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien) finished an assist from Parker Waldron (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon), 1:46 into the game.


McDaniel answered, scoring three straight goals in a span of just under two minutes, taking a 3-1 lead at the 10:51 mark.


The Devils responded with a 3-0 run as Gleason tallied a goal and an assist. First-year Kobi Frankel (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) started the run and Gleason found Will Scott (Emmaus, Pa./Emmaus) on an extra-man opportunity after Tyler White (Philadelphia, Pa./Penn Charter) fed him for his second goal of the game.


Pat Bivons tallied his second assist of the night, feeding Patrick Serio to tie the game, 4-4, with 2:31 remaining in the opening quarter.


Senior Nick Leon (Chevy Chase, Md./Gonzaga) ripped the net on another extra-man opportunity, finishing another assist from Gleason at the midpoint of the second period. William Clary tallied back-to-back goals, including a man-up to give the Green Terror a 6-5 advantage with 3:00 to go in the half.


Serio assisted Jason Lawrence at the 1:24 mark to put McDaniel in front by two at the break.


Gleason found Leon once more, just over a minute into the second half. Michael Woglom stretched the lead back to a pair, scoring at the 11:42 mark. Frankel netted his second of the game and White tied the game, 8-8, just over a minute later.


McDaniel took its final lead of the night at the 4:34 mark of the quarter. Lawrence dished off an assist to Zach Monzo to make the score, 9-8.


First-year Rob Kendall (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley) pulled the Devils even with a man-up goal at the 1:38 mark, sending the game into the fourth quarter, knotted up, 9-9.


Frankel completed the hat-trick with 8:58 in the clock in the final period. Kendall struck again with an assist from school-record holder, Matt Cherry (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Radnor), just 41 seconds later.


Bivons kept the Terror's hopes alive, scoring off an assist from Lawrence with 1:57 remaining in the game.


Carter Moore (Virginia Beach, Va./Norfolk Academy) won the face-off and controlled the ground ball to give the Devils a key possession. Following a timeout and off-setting penalties, the Green Terror gained possession and cleared.


McDaniel called a timeout with 27 seconds remaining but the Red Devil defense would hold on as Dickinson improved to 8-0 on the year and 1-0 in the Centennial Conference.


Gleason led the charge with two goals and three assists while Frankel finished with the hat-trick. Kendall and Leon each struck twice on the night.


All-American long-pole midfielder Brandon Palladino (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) had another big night, controlling seven ground balls and causing three turnovers.


Moore won 15-of-24 face-offs on the night and picked-up eight ground balls. Draper Donley (Lutherville, Md./St. Paul's School) and Peter Zouck (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) combined for four caused turnovers and five GBs.


Senior Greg Hanley (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) made nine saves to improve to 8-0 in the nets this season.


The Red Devils tie the school record for best start to a season, matching the 8-0 start in 2010. The Red Devils return home to host Ursinus College on Saturday. Opening face-off is scheduled for 1:00 pm.  


  • $entry.alt



  • $entry.alt