Red Devils Rally Past Diplomats to Earn #2-Seed

Red Devils Rally Past Diplomats to Earn #2-Seed


(Lancaster, Pa.) – The Dickinson men's lacrosse team closed out the regular season with a thrilling 8-7 win at #19-ranked Franklin & Marshall on Saturday afternoon.


The victory vaults the Red Devils into second place in the Centennial Conference standings, and gives them another home game at Biddle Field. Dickinson will host one semifinal on Wednesday, hosting these same Diplomats in a midweek rematch.


The game was close throughout with the Diplomats gaining a two-goal advantage on three occasions. The Red Devils capitalized early, taking a 2-0 lead in the opening five minutes of the contest.


First-year Tyler Llewellyn (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) scored, just 54 seconds in, and sophomore Tyler White (Philadelphia, Pa./Penn Charter) finished an assist from senior Brian Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Loyola Blakefield) at the 10:01 mark.


F&M answered at the 3:20 and 1:09 marks of the first quarter to tie the game. First-year Chase Phillips (Charlottesville, Va./Monticello) found the net with 25 seconds on the clock to put Dickinson back on top at the end of the first.


The Diplomats had the advantage in the second period, scoring the only three goals of the quarter to take a 5-3 lead into halftime.


Sophomore Rob Kendall (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley Academy) tallied off an assist from Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien) to pull Dickinson within a goal.


F&M sandwiched a pair of goals around an unassisted strike from Brett Parker (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's School) to keep a two-goal advantage, heading into the final stanza.


It was the Red Devils who dominated the fourth, scoring three unanswered goals to overtake the Diplomats for a thrilling, 8-7 victory.


Parker pulled the Devils within one, once again, finishing an assist from Chris Menard (South Hadley, Mass./South Hadley) with 11:54 to play in the game. Parker returned the favor, paying it forward with an assist to Gleason, to pull the Devils even at the 6:42 mark.


Dickinson went to the program's all-time leader point-man, Cannon, who put the Devils in front for good with an unassisted tally with 2:44 to play in regulation.


The Diplomats hit the post once and sophomore goaltender Nick Baxter (Boxford, Mass./Governor's) came up with two huge saves in the final two minutes to secure the win.


Senior Carter Moore (Virginia Beach, Va./Norfolk Academy) was solid once again as well, winning 11-of-19 face-offs and controlling 10 ground balls.


Michael Smith (Baltimore, Md./Loyola Blakefield) anchored a strong defensive effort with three ground balls and a pair of turnovers. Baxter finished with 13 saves on the afternoon.


Cameron Setian made nine saves for Franklin & Marshall as they slip to 12-4 overall and 6-2 in the Centennial Conference.


The Red Devils improve to 9-6 and 6-2 in the CC. By virtue of the head-to-head win, they earn the #2-seed in the conference playoffs next week. Game time is still to be determined for Wednesday.



  • $entry.alt



  • $entry.alt